[IP] brewer's yeast?

My mother recently read that brewer's yeast can be useful for treating
hypos.  She said they recommend to put it in fruit juice. I asked her
about the nutritional info and she said 2T has 8.7 carbs and quite a bit
of protein I think. So, yes I suppose it could bring up a BG level, but
couldn't the protein make you go high later on, sort of like pizza? What
would be the point of taking this over just plain juice (or glucose
tabs, or candy, or *insert remedy of choice here*)? I am just pretty
skeptical about these "health food/nutritional supplement" type things,
so: Anyone out there have experience with this?