[IP] feeling really dumb about low sugars...

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 email @ redacted wrote:

>i wonder if anyone goes thru what i go thru when my sugars are low?

I have been diabetic 38+ years (and pumping 20 years) and have not felt low
sugars for at least the last 20 of them.

I have had many doctors tell my wife that the emotional symptoms I
experience with low or high sugars are not diabetic related but must be from
some mental illness.

I have yelled, screamed, picked things up and thrown them, hurt other people
both verbally and physically and in other ways done some pretty horrible
things during low sugars or times when the sugar changes 50 points or more
in less then half an hour.

I cannot really give you much advice but I can tell you that many diabetics
get these type of reactions.  For the last 10 months I've been taking a very
tiny dose of a drug called risperdal which seems to enable me to retain
emotional control during the sugar related episodes.  I don't really
understand the chemistry that provides this protection but I'm past the
point of caring.  It works.

I also can get very moody or low or depressed.  I'm not really sure what the
cause of any given reaction is but I've had all of them.  The risperdal
seems to help all of them, though.

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World