Re: [IP] Being a diabetic to Hope and Pam

Dear Ladies:

As one who has had the disease for 32 years, I agree that sometimes the
ignorance of even medical professionals amaze me.  At eight I got the news
that I had diabetes.  I remember my mother telling me in our living room with
my father watching.  When I cried and asked her if I was going to die she
told me that, "Oh no honey, Uncle Lawrence has had it for years."  Bad choice
for a highly emotional and very intelligent little girl.  This uncle was
approximately 5'6" tall and if he weighed 135 lbs. he was lucky.  The man to
me had always looked like he had one foot in the grave.

Over the years with my ups and downs, emotions, blood sugars, and weight gain
and loss, I have spent far more time than I should have accepting blame for
this disease when blame was not to be accepted.  I have also doubted the
existence and the compassion of God.  All in all, I feel grateful in that I
am a living miracle, as well as my two boys.  Conceiving them after having
diabetes for over twenty years and to have each of them come home with me
(not stay in the hospital longer than I) when I went home after a "normal"
c-section stay.  I know do not blame or doubt the compassion of God.  I still
work on guilt, but make strides every day towards this.

Hang in there, some people for whatever reason are unthinking, almost stupid
in spite of their education.