[IP] MiniMed Inc. Announces Record Fourth Quarter and 1999 Year End Results

-Growth of Insulin Pump Placements Exceeds 50% for the Second Consecutive
MiniMed Inc. (Nasdaq:MNMD) today announced financial results for the fourth
quarter and the year ended December 31, 1999.

Commenting on the results and other recent developments, Alfred E. Mann,
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, stated, "All aspects of our organization
responded to the 1999 fourth quarter opportunity. During the quarter, we
achieved record sales and earnings, launched our latest generation insulin
pump and recognized the first revenues on our continuous glucose monitoring
system. We also filed the first in a series of supplements to our parent PMA
on our sensor product in order to bring a consumer version of this system to
market next year. We continue to receive very positive feedback from our
customers on our new Model 508 insulin pump, and we are currently in the
process of upgrading the software on the initial units shipped. All estimated
costs related to this minor software correction were recorded in fiscal 1999,
and the upgrade will be completed by the end of the first quarter of fiscal
2000. We are also making progress on several other fronts, including the
implementation of our strategic alliances and the construction of our new
world-wide headquarters, the first phase of which is on schedule to be
completed in the third quarter of this year."

Terrance H. Gregg, President and Chief Operating Officer, added, "Our strong
fourth quarter and fiscal year are further indications of the continued
world-wide acceptance of insulin pump therapy as the best method of
intensively managing diabetes. During the fourth quarter, MiniMed sold as many
insulin pumps in the United States as we sold in all of fiscal 1996. For the
second year in a row, insulin pump placement growth exceeded 50%, with
international pump placements growing at an even faster rate in 1999.
Moreover, we estimate that the installed base of pump patients grew by almost
40% in 1999, and we expect to place our 100,000th insulin pump this year."

MiniMed Inc. designs, develops, manufactures and markets advanced infusion
systems with a primary emphasis on the intensive management of diabetes. The
Company's products include external pumps and related disposables, a first
generation continuous glucose monitoring system as well as exclusive marketing
rights to an implantable insulin pump, which is currently approved for
distribution in the European Community and has not yet been cleared for
marketing in the U.S. The Company is also developing new infusion systems to
deliver compounds designed to treat a variety of other medical conditions.

 This message sent to you from the desk of
  Yerachmiel Bruchya haLevi Altman's computer.