Re: [IP] Ever heard of Fifth's Disease? HELP!

Most of what people have written about Fifth Disease (erythema
infectiosum) is true, but I thought I'd clarify some of the
inaccuracies.  First off it is called "fifth" disease - not "fifth's"  It is
named so, not because it is the fifth most common virus (it's not
even close to being as common as some of the more prevalent
cold viruses), but because it was the 5th eruptive (meaning
associated with rash) described.  The others are (1) scarlet fever
(2) measles; (3) rubella; (4) Dukes disease; (6) roseola.
Sometimes they are listed in a different order, but fifth disease is
always the same (erythema infectiosum).

It is caused by parvovirus B19 (not the same parvovirus that is
extremely dangerous to dogs!).  The rash occurs in three stages.
It is not usually associated with any other symptoms, but
sometimes low grade temps.  Other symptoms are more common
in older children and adults.  These include sore throat, runny nose
and joint pain.

Back to the rash:  It first appears on the face as the "slapped
cheek" appearance.  Intense red.  Next, a less intense lacy red
rash appears on the arms, face, thighs and buttocks.  Frequently
the rash is itchy.  It can last from 2 - 39 days (with frequent

In healthy children (including diabetics) there usually are no
complications. Pregnant woman should report exposure to their
OB, because there has been some reports (<10%) of premature

As with any illness, diabetics may have increased insulin
requirements during infection.

Hand-foot-mouth disease is caused by the coxsackie virus.  It is
not the same as fifth disease.

Eric M. Goodman MSN CPNP