[IP] Being a diabetic

Dear Hope,
Your peer may be in the medical profession but I think he or she falls
leagues short of being a medical professional.  What an ignorant and hurtful
thing to say to someone!  As you obviously know, diabetes is a disease, not
a consequence.
My first reaction would have been to say, "Well, I may be diabetic, but
you're stupid!"  Of course, I probably would have held my tongue, but I
would have thought it nonetheless.
Maybe the thing to do is just give a cold stare and say something like,
"Why, how could you believe such a ridiculous thing?  Didn't you learn
anything in Medical/Nursing/Whatever school?"
My .02
Miss Manners for a day