Re: [IP] What body parts DM affects

As for Kathy's assumption that DM affects everything - I would tend to
agree.  Here's why:

The MiniMed glucose sensor that is being tested currently, detects glucose
in the body fluids, such as below the skin, which is not bloody.  There's
lots more fluid in your body than just blood, and it contains glucose
too.  That is true for nearly every part of your body.

As for lens...  It is a fluid based gel, but I don't know if it does have
problems transporting glucose through the lens membranes.  But, from
what I've read, cataracts tend to be caused by excessive aldose reductase
acting on the glucose, causing an excessive accumulation of sorbitol in
the lens, etc (the polyol pathway).  Overtime this imbalance ends up
forming cataracts.  Galactose (another type of sugar) also is implicated
in cataract formation through this wayward aldose reductase problem.

Kevin

--
WB0DPN
direct email: email @ redacted