[IP] Neuropathy improvement

> Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 10:54:02 -0600
> From: Gilda Weiskopf <email @ redacted>
> Subject: re: neuropathy  (was: Re: [IP] weight gain/loss)
> Jan, you wrote:
> When I was approached about a pump around 18 years
> > ago, I had terrible neuropathy of my feet and legs. I took naps just to
> > escape the pain and thought there was no help.
> > Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)
> Did the neuropathy get better? I have neuropathy in both my legs and hands
> and am hoping WHEN I go on the pump that it will get better.  I am seeing
> an endo in Des Moines this Thursday to begin the process for a pump.
> Gilda Weisskopf

My *new* endo put me on Dilantin after trying several other medications.
Dilantin is a medication to allow circulation to the brain to eliminate
seizures in epileptics. It also allowed circulation to my feet and legs. I
took 4 pills a day, as well as a large dose of Vitamin B6 Rx'd by my
podiatrist. A few years later I dropped one of the Dilantin capsules. A few
years after that I dropped another. About a year ago I tried taking one
capsule every other day and have dropped most of the B6. Sorry, your
improvement won't happen simultaneously to beginning CIIP therapy. It
probably took years for neuropathy to develop, allow your body time to
adjust to new/better control. The bottom line is, it DID get better. I
noticed relief from the pain AFTER I began the Dilantin & B6, not WHEN. It
was gradual to the point that I didn't realize when the pain was gone.
    Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)
p.s. I was also told by the podiatrist to be very careful of your feet when
your BG is elevated because it's easier to get infection(s) to heal.