[IP] Appendix

I haven't posted much lately, but I had to tell you all about my recent
hospital visit for a burst appendix.

This experience is definite proof of the value of this list, because
here is where I learned from countless others: that if you have to be
admitted to a hospital, be insistent about staying on the pump, testing
your own blood sugars, and bolusing yourself.

Last week I went to the hospital after my appendix ruptured and formed
an abscess, which means my body sent an army of white blood cells to my
appendix to wall off the infected site from the rest of my body. The
doctors decided not to remove my appendix until the infection goes away
with antibiotics (too risky to operate and run the risk of spreading the
infection). But the first day I was there, the surgeons mentioned taking
me off of the pump and getting insulin through an IV. I called my
endocrinologist PRONTO and told him what happened. It was great; he came
up and had a very intense conversation with the surgeon about keeping me
on the pump--I knew what I needed to do to keep my blood sugars in line,
there would be less control on the IV, etc.--and to my relief I stayed
on the pump. We adjusted my basals because I was getting a
saline/dextrose IV drip for dehydration, and my boluses stayed pretty
much the same for food--of which I wasn't eating much of.

I had to sort of prove to the staff that I knew what I was doing with my
blood sugars, but after they saw I was getting good control, they let me
use my own Glucometer Elite to test my blood instead of their strips--I
was testing more than they were, anyway. If I had any lows, I treated
them myself with the usual gummy Lifesavers I keep with me, and told
them about it after the fact. It worked out fine.

What did surprise me was that a lot of the staff didn't know what an
insulin pump was. This is at a university training hospital in
Knoxville, not a hospital in a small town. A lot of the residents on
rounds asked about it, and the nursing staff said that a lot of the
diabetics they see are older and not on pumps. Could it also be that, as
a group, we pumpers are having fewer hospital visits and are staying

And I've got to say something about hospital food, which is--it's
wretched!! I'm not just talking about the food patients get--I couldn't
believe the cardiac unit waiting to happen in that cafeteria! What's
with having Pizza Hut and Burger King franchises in a hospital? I know
they contract the food out to make money, but my God! If you can't have
good, healthy food in a hospital... The sad thing is, I suspect that's
what a lot of people want.