Re: [IP] Need infusion set advice

> I've only been pumping since Jan 25th, but am already becoming very
> frustrated with inserting my infusion sets. Actually, inserting them
> is ok,  but after a day or two the site sometimes gets tender,
> begins itching, and rapidly becomes infected, and you guessed it,
> bgs begin to soar.

Rapid site degradation could be caused by a number of different
thing. Here are some suggestions, you will have to investigate each

1) Sensitivity/allergy to infusion set material or set adhesive
2) Sensitivity/allergy to insulin or one of it's components
3) You could be a staph carrier -- harmless to you but not to wounds

Possible solutions:
1) Examine the site carefully -- is the irritation only in the wound
itself, or is the irritation in the skin also, perhaps in the shape
of the set or the tape that holds it on? If so, a barrier piece
of IV3000 before installing the set and/or using a barrier wipe such
as Smith & Nephew Skin Prep may help. If you are allergic or
sensitive to the cannual of the infusion set, switching to another
type of set may help. Get samples of SofSets, Rapids,
Sil/Tender/Comfort set -- and try them.

2) Try switching to another insulin for a week or so. If you use
Humalog, switch to Velosulin or Humulin R -- check with your
physician as the TIMING of the insulin peak will be different and
basal start / stop times will change

3) Extra prep precautions are necessary -- in particular you must not
touch your face while doing site prep or insertion -- this is harder
to do than you might imagine. Carefully wash your hands, dry them on
a paper towel or a freshly laundered towel -- studies show that the
paper towel is actually cleaner. Arrange all of the necessary
goodies, insulin, syringes, tape, set -- on a "clean" surface or
another paper towel. Prep the site first with a Providine wipe -- let
dry. Remove excess iodine with an alcohol wipe -- let dry. Apply IV
Prep or Skin Prep -- let dry. Apply barrier tape OR infusion set as
necessary -- finish tape as required. Remember !! don't touch your
face while doing this -- try to touch only what is absolutely

Don't try more than one solution at a time. If you do, you won't know
what really fixed the problem.