[IP] Re: ketones/ketosis

    One thing that has worked for me is having a few suppositories available
to combat vomiting if ketosis has gone so far that I cannot keep fluids down.
 They are prescription meds so my primary Dr or my endo writes a script for
them when I ask and I always keep a few on hand as I don't always have
someone around who could make a drive to the pharmacy for them.  I use them
with caution as they can make you sleepy, but in the few cases that I have
needed them, I have been able to get my glucoses down with insulin, my
vomiting under control with the suppositories, rehydrate myself orally, and
avoid an ER visit.  Once I still needed to see my physician in her office the
next day and she gave me a  liter of IV fluids there.  It was a wierd couple
of days where my insulin requirements seemed to double for no definable
    They have side effects and are not for everyone, but is something to
consider discussing with your physician.  Some Drs may be very uncomfortable
NOT having you come in if you're vomiting and ketotic and some people with
diabetes may feel the same.