Re: [IP] Kid's and diabetes feelings

    I give kids so much credit who live with diabetes.  When I was diagnosed
with diabetes at age 10 I was familiar with it because my older sister had
it.  But for some of these children who have diabetes are so brand new to it,
they have never seen so my blood sugar tests, and insulin injections before.
    I wanted to start helping kids with diabetes, so I started baby-sitting
diabetic children.  I had my first job a few weeks ago and let me just say I
give that little boy so much credit.  He is 20 months and he Was diagnosed at
his one year check up.  I gave him his insulin injection in his little bum
and saw all the little marks from previous injections.  I tested his blood
sugar a number of times throughout the night I was there.  At one point he
just didn't want to test and I could understand, but I knew he had to.  So I
showed him my own testing machine because it was a different one.  I said I
will test my BS first and then it would be his turn.  So what did he do when
I was finished?  He gave me one of his fingers to prick.  It was so touching
to me.  Even a 20 month little boy can understand what needs to be down from
the "normal" routine now.  This is what he will have to do for the rest of
his life until that cure it found.  But as his mother says he will never know
his life any different, which is so true.  I think it is so important for
other children with diabetes to see other diabetics go through the routine
like themselves.  I hope I can help many other children like I have started
with this little boy.
    I give all you parents so much credit for all you do for your children.
Children need to know they have the support and love of their parents to live
with diabetes because it can be challenging.  I'm grateful to my own mother
you made sure I had everything I needed growing up and knowing she is still
there watching out for me at 21yrs. old.