Re: [IP] Re: kids and diabetes feelings

gianna marzilli wrote:
> I asked him if he felt sad because he had diabetes and he looked at
> >me like I was a Martian and said, "No, why should I?"
>   I think this is awesome. Having gone through one of those "why me why me"
> phases, albeit a short one, took alot out of myself

Well, I was diagnosed a LOT later than you, and had a much more
prolonged why me period -- I think it's because those of us who are
older have a longer "normal" life to compare it to.

Although my grandmother had diabetes, I really didn't think I was going
to get it, because my mother never did (and never will -- she died at
age 80 without any sign of diabetes), so it was a shock when I was
diagnosed. I struggled (and still struggle) a lot with feeling of guilt,
even though they weren't warranted,

And I periodically stop my insulin in the irrational and absurd hope
that my diabetes has gone away while I wasn't looking. Of course, it
quickly reminds me that it hasn't gone away -- but I NEED that reminder
from time to time.

Small children don't struggle with THOSE kinds of feelings because they
never knew any different -- and they are too young to have picked up on
feelings of blame and guilt. Hopefully, their parents won't pass those
feelings on later!

Good luck to all of us!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted