[IP] Re: kids and diabetes feelings - LONG

>I am grateful he feels this way. I hope his positive attitude remains, but
>will be there for him if he ever wonders, "Why me?"

I am not a parent to a diabetic child, but I am a schoolteacher who's worked
on all grade levels (when you teach music, it's always an adventure), with
students who have any number of health issues to deal with.  I've watched
kids who have diabetes, leukemia, cancer, missing limbs, you name it go
through their school days & face the challenges they do, & you know what -
the bottom line is, they're kids...for the most part, just like every other
kid in the things they think about & worry about.  I've seen some have to
work extra hard at times - & I've seen their classmates work with them, & a
lot of understanding & human compassion develops on both ends.  He will, I'm
sure, just like anyone else, go through times of thinking "why me?"...every
kid does, on issues that might not seem to us to be as serious, like "Why do
I have to take my little sister everywhere? Why do I have acne/red hair/old
snow boots that Mom makes me wear?  Why are my parents so geeky?  Why do I
have to have social studies/math/gym/music when I hate this class?"  It can
be the most important thing in the world to be there when he does ask "Why
me?"...& to be prepared for the fact that there may be no real answers that
satisfy at all, but the questioning is a major phase of the growing pains we
all make our way through.  He may get frustrated that you don't have all the
answers...but in time he will appreciate so very much that you took the time
to listen & help him work his way through the questions, & he'll learn that
some of them don't ever have clear, easy answers.

Okay, that's enough philosophical though for one morning...this must be some
pretty impressive coffee, to induce deep thought in me at this hour!  :)  On
an off-topic note:  in two weeks I start teaching my fourth-graders how to
play the recorder.  I have a boy with only one hand...I spoke with his
classroom teacher & his mom about how best to handle this - have him work
his way around using a regular instrument, or get a special one for the
disabled.  Mom said he's very independent...ask him.  He opted for the
special one (not his normal route, but it should allow him to play all the
notes instead of learning to skip over some), so he & I are BOTH going to
learn just how this works in the next month.  He is a lot more adept than
many kids on anything requiring manual dexterity, & the other kids have
grown up with him since kindergarten...they accept his one-handedness just
as somebody else's hair color & length, height, weight, etc - to them it's
not a big deal.  One boy moved here this year from another school & made a
comment about it out on the playground one day - I thought that the other
kids in the class were going to rip him to pieces!  I think it has worked
greatly to his advantage that he's remained in the same school system all
along - I think it would be much more difficult for a student with something
different (diabetes included) going into a new school system...because there
you are different to begin with, just by being "the new kid."  One thing
that I've seen help a lot is being very open with everyone about what's
going on...a pump can be a great show & tell item, as can a meter, & if you
don't give other kids the opportunity to ask the questions about novelty
items like that (as far as their experience is concerned), that tends to be
when they get mean about it because it's something they are not given the
opportunity to understand.

Okay, long-windedness over...time for that second cup of coffee, please!