[IP] Re: kids and diabetes feelings

Paul is the same way. He was DX at 20 months and is now 6. He does not
remember life without diabetes. Recently, I ordered "The Dinosaur Tamer and
Other Stories." We started to read it last night. The first story, Dinosaur
Tamer, is about a boy who faces his ridiculing peers by becoming "strong" and
a Dinosaur. Lucky for Paul, his peers have always accepted his diabetes. None
of them are ridiculing. They all think he's brave. Another story was about a
boy who kept asking "Why me?" Paul said to me, "He'll get used to it. I did."

I remember even earlier (about age 3) I read "Even Little Kids Get Diabetes"
to him. (I changed some of the words because I think it's too negative!!
Anyway, I asked him if he felt sad because he had diabetes and he looked at
me like I was a Martian and said, "No, why should I?"

I am grateful he feels this way. I hope his positive attitude remains, but I
will be there for him if he ever wonders, "Why me?"

Janice, proud mom to Paul