[IP] Thanks to the IP Connection

Greetings all:
   Just wanted to post a "thank you" from a non-IP(Insulin Pumpers) friend to
whom I often forward pertinent posts.....She'd called me early yesterday ,
unsure of how to proceed...
    Her almost 13 yr old pumper daughter awoke at 3 a.m. yesterday &
proceeded to vomit about 10 times over the next 6 hours...fever of 100.5;bgs
were around 190; couldn't check for ketones since the child couldn't even
lift her head to get out of bed & didn't have to pee anyway....Since the bgs
were NOT high, the mom wouldn't have thought about DKA & hospitals, EXCEPT
that she'd read the post I'd forwarded recently about several IP-ers warning
that vomiting & ketones could rapidly induce DKA, even in the absence of high
   Since she didn't know about the ketones, she decided to err on the side of
caution (with a helpful "nudge" from me! LOL). The ER staff gave her daughter
IV fluids and compazine, checked & found small ketones (even though her bg
never went higher than 250)...and they all were very impressed with the mom
for being so pro-active in forestalling a "crisis". They said most people
think you wait several days into an illness, or until the bgs are very high,
before even considering going to the ER; but that, in actuality, the vomiting
& subsequent dehydration can quickly precipitate a serious problem.
   Anyway, her daughter's feeling much better today & the mom is very
grateful to the IP-ers who gave us all this "heads up" notice!!

Regards, Renee ( pump-mom)