[IP] Basic Pumping Concepts

Hi Everyone!

I haven't posted in a while, but have been reading all
of the e-mails with great interest. Thanks for all of
your information and help!

I have recently changed CDEs and am quite confused about
some of the things that I've been told. I've been
pumping for about 6 months, and the results were not
what I expected - I'm still having a lot of highs and
lows. The new CDE reviewed my records and made a few
suggestions. She told me that instead of an "all carb"
breakfast (white toast with butter and orange juice),
that I should add some protein. She also told me to be
sure that I have 3 to 4 oz of protein at lunch and at
dinner, and to be sure that I ate every 4 hours, either
having a meal or a snack. She claims that this will
prevent my liver from getting depleted and will prevent
my frequent lows.

I thought that one of the great benefits of the pump was
that you could eat (or not eat) whatever you wanted
whenever you wanted, as long as your basals were set
right and you bolused for what you ate. Am I wrong about
this assumption, or is it time to find another new CDE?

Any comments or suggestions would certainly be
appreciated. As always, thanks for your help!

== Steve ==