[IP] Re: IV Prep

I use IV Prep every time I change my set, and I love it. I'm not sure
why Minimed didn't tell me about it from the start. I had lots of itching
and skin infections at my sites from the beginning (Dec. '98). As an
archaeologist, I work outside a lot, and the itching and skin infections
got a lot worse in the humid summer months, plus the tape wouldn't
stay on, and my set would come off. I called Mini-med, and they sent
me IV Prep. It creates a sterile thin barrier between your skin and the
set. Because it is sterile, it cuts down on infections. Because it is a
barrier, it cuts down on the tape coming off, and also on infections. I
generally wash my hands with Phisoderm, wash my site with
Phisoderm, let it dry, swab with alcohol, let it dry, swab with IV Prep,
let it dry, then put the set in. I've had no problems since using this
product. Mini-med sells a box of 100 (I think) for around $8-12. My
insurance reimburses 80% after I meet my deductible.

BTW, does anyone have good ideas on carrying insulin with you
during extreme temps? As I said, I work outside all year long, and get
worried about the insulin (which I can keep in a cooler) but also about
the insulin in my pump. Mini-med didn't know if being outside in 95
degree weather all day was bad, but suggested I wear a fanny pack
with an ice pack in it, and keep the pump in it all day. But I didn't
want the insulin next to ice either--any suggestions? How about cold
temps? I'm scheduled to do a dig in Luray, VA next week, and will be
outside all day every day. I figure the padding from multiple layers in
the winter keeps it ok, but I'm not sure.