Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:11:58 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Why is less insulin better??

Liz wrote:

>  Just my ignorance showing --- but why is less insulin
> better?? Andrea's had  dropped by almost 50% from
> 75+ to around 35 a day since starting the pump.

It isn't "better" - as long as we take the amount of
insulin we need to keep
our bg within our own personal target zones, then it
doesn't matter if you
take 20 units a day or 200...every person's needs are
different, and it
doesn't mean person A is in "better" control if he only
needs 25 units in
comparison to person B who needs 250 units.  Each person
has a different
reaction to insulin and all the other uncontrollable
hormones in our body.

The fact that Andrea has dropped 50% is due most likely to
the fact that you
are probably no longer chasing highs with more insulin, and
lows with more
food, which in turn need more insulin.  Most people DO
report a drop in daily
insulin usage... when you can take .3 of a unit, rather
than 1 unit, it adds
up...I went from 40+ units per day to about 30, about a 25%
decrease, and
lost about 8 pounds in the first 2 months on the pump
because I was writing
down everything I ate, and was too embarrased to write
"entire bag of Fritos"
so I wasn't eating them at all!

Just remember YMMV and less is not always better, but it is
always different.
ON THE OTHER HAND, didn't we read some study or another
recently linking an
increase in heart problems with over-insulinating?  in this
case, I would
guess less IS better...but if less for you is 200 units per
day, as opposed
to 250, then I guess that is ok.

*-)=B xoxx~~~~[507]

*   Susan K.  (^i^)