Re: [IP] Re: Medical advice

> Stepping away and getting into black and white (and A.R.)......
> Isn't telling someone to go on the pump so they will get better BGs
> medical advice?

Not really, it is very informative and helpful to relate what works
for you and what you have tried and why. The same information can be
conveyed without saying "do this, do that..." Most, if not all of the
reponses in this forum usually take form of a description of what the
person has been doing to solve a particular problem or what they
relate about someone else solving the problem. That is not the same
as telling someone to do something directly. Therein lies the
difference between education and "direction", the passing of
information that may be useful and "telling someone what to do". It
is one thing to relate information based on first hand knowledge and
entirely another to put yourself forward intentionally or otherwise
as "knowledgeable" on a particular subject or field.

I can tell you all sorts of things that I've experienced with my
daughter relating to managing diabetes for an adolescent. Her endo
can tell you what you should do to manage your own diabetes. We might
both impart the same knowledge, however I am simply telling a story
and the endo is prescribing treatment. There is a big difference.
In the first case, it's up to you to decide if what I'm saying is
reasonable and if you wish to use the information in some way or
another. In the second case, you rely upon the expertise of a
trained, certified, liscensed professional to tell you what is
necessary in the absence of knowledge of your own. I would simply be
relating historical information, the endo is practising medicine.
Which information from either source you find more relevant, useful
or accurate is, of course, up to you :-)