Re: [IP] total basal amounts-was What am I? :-)

> >This also applies to a non insulin resistant type I being within plus or >minus 20% of the calculated number.  (This does assume nothing else is >affecting the BGs.)
> Maybe I am just confused, but I tried this calculation for Shane.
> The number I got was more than twice his total daily amount of basal
> insulin. (even considering the 20%). In fact it was higher than his
> total insulin including boluses.  He is not doing anything (like
> heavy exercise) that could be burning up THAT many carbs. Have
> others found that this calculation works for them?

You are not confused. These calculations are designed to be used as
guidelines for starting therapy when there is "no other information"
available. They are averages of the general diabetes population and
do not reflect accurately what happens with a particular individual.
The variances between actual and calculated values in an informal
survey of a half dozen pumpers showed numbers that varied by a factor
of 2 or more. These calculation should NOT be used to set basal
rates, ratios, bolus values. They are used by physicians as a last
resort method to make an estimate.