Re: [IP] Bagels

At 01:46 PM 2/18/2001 -0800, Natalie wrote:
>There are good bagels to be had in Los Angeles. Probably in San
>Francisco Bay Area, too

There are PASSABLE bagels to be had in the SF Bay Area, but nowhere near as
good as the really chewy ones you can (or could) get around NYC.  I know
because I grew up in that area.

The ones out here aren't good enough to be worth bolusing for 60 grams of
CHO.  And my feeling is that they are slowly but surely morphing into
pastries.  They're getting softer and softer.  They used to be flavored
with onions, garlic, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt and so forth (with
cinnamon/raison the only anomoly) and were served with plain  or green
onion cream cheese and lox.  Now they're flavored with blueberries, apples
and cinnamon, chocolate chips, and other monstrosities and are served with
cream cheese that has jam or honey mixed into it. Yech!

I'll have some rye toast with butter, please!

Liz