[IP] Need help with cold weather BG testing

I live in Minnesota and love to XC-Ski. Since I'm having a tough time this
winter managing my BG's while I'm skiing, I decided to test at the halfway
point during my ski outings. Problem is, if it's 12 degrees F., meters don't
work. I keep my meter and test strips next to my body until just before I
test. Even so, in the 3-5 minutes it takes to test, my readings seem to be
way off. EG: I test outside and my BG is 88. If I go inside, it's 286! So,
I've tried cupping my mouth around the test strip right after I apply the
blood sample. BG is now 356! Any ideas/suggestions on how to alter my
testing methods for skiing?

Thanks, Kathy