[IP] talking with OB/Gyn

In a message dated 2/13/01 5:34:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I saw my Ob/Gyn today. We are still trying to get pregnant
>  (hopefully this month will prove fruitful). But we were going over the
>  changes that I'll need to make with the pump. We decided to keep
>  the Humalin R going in the pump (not that it is a choice) Bolusing
>  with both pump and Humalog pen. But he suggested that I might
>  cut my nighttime basal in half and take the other half with NPH for
>  coverage.
 Has anyone who is/was pregnant
>  done this? How successful was it?  I also get up on a
>  regular basis and test between 2 and 4am. Is this really necessary?
>  Thanks
>  Gail
Hi Gail,
I'm finally reading my digests and wanted to respond to your questions.  I
was on the pump for 2 of my pregnancies, only used the pump at night and
never had a problem.  I find NPH too unpredictable and I liked being on
Humalog only.  I just made sure I changed my sites during the day (preferably
in the morning) so that I knew whether or not the site was good.  I also did
get up almost every night between 2 and 4 am during the first trimester - I
felt it was important to get a good idea of what my blood sugars were doing
during the night.   However, during the "preconception phase", I did let
myself sleep through some nights. Good luck!!!