[IP] EMLA creme

I agree with your doc, EMLA creme can cause local allergic reactions
because lidocaine is quite allergenic. I used to use EMLA to treat the pain
of shingles when I was a neuro-oncologist. all the kids I know including my
own are needle phobic and that is quite normal. I used to use accupressure
and ice prior to doing a spinal tap in kids and found that the dread of the
procedure to the kid was always worse than the actual stick.(But here the
patient cannot see the needle either) Sometimes the act of rubbing a magic
medicine on the area to numb it can be needed but there is no reason why
that has to actually has to be an anesthetic agent. Since the Humulog
doesn't hurt during infusion try a drop of it on the skin just prior to
insertion and after icing. This is not intended to be medical advice which
only your physicians can give you.
Andy b Age 62, d 36 years, pumping 3 months and loving it
A. L. Bender, M. D.