Re: [IP] 1999 Congress

Hi people:

Just as an FYI, if you want to write your congressman to urge more funding,
etc., for DM, here's a formula I got from the ADA to maybe show what impact
diabetes has on your representative's constituency. Each congressional
district has about 330,000 people in it. Perhaps one of you math mavens can
crunch the numbers for us (my excuse is I've got the flu and I don't feel like
it).

Jan

A. Approximate total number with DM: Multiply the total community population
by 5.9 percent.

B. Number diagnosed: Multiply the the total number with DM (A) times 65.6
percent. (0.656)

C. Number undiagnosed: Multiply the total number with DM (A) times 34.4
percent. (0.344)

Annual deaths attributed to DM: Multiply the diagnosed population (B) by 1.76
percent. (0.0176)

Annual amputations: Multiply the diagnosed population (B) by 0.546 percent.
(.00546)

Annual new cases of blindness: Multiply the diagnosed population (B) by 0.117
percent and 0.234 percent to determine the range.

Annual economic costs (total direct and indirect): For total, multiply the
DX'd population (B) by $13,398. For direct cost, multiply the total cost by
0.67. For an estimate of indirect cost, multiply the total cost by 0.33.

Number of people with type 1 DM: Multiply the number of people with DM (A)
times 5 percent. (.05)

If you want to get into demographics, they give two:

Number of people aged 65 and older with DM: Multiply the number of people aged
65 and older by 18.4 percent.

Number of children with DM: Multiply the number of children times 1.6 and
divide by 1000.