Re: [IP] gastroparesis

email @ redacted wrote:
> I see this gastroparesis mentioned in the mail a lot but I have no idea what
> it is.  I'm assuming it is yet another complication but can someone please
> explain it to me.  I had never of it before joining the list.

Gastroparesis is the lack of automatic stomach emptying into the intestines at
proper time in the digestive cycle. It's caused by neuropathy in the nerve that
opens the valve at the bottom of the stomach, which makes diabetes VERY hard
to control. Since it's unknown just when food will get to where it's absdorbed
becomes nearly impossible to schedule shots to use the glucose, and mistakes can
lead to either highs or lows depending on the exact circumstances.

Hope you never get gastroparesis!

Ted Quick