Re: [IP] It all seems very hard . . .

I've had a pump for 17 1/2 years (since the age of 15) so my answer to this
question will be quite different than the others you are likely to get here, so
as always, weigh them all and remember everyone is partly wrong and partly right.

I've known quite a number of new pumpers who were overwhelmed, frustrated and
eventually gave up b/c they expected a pump to be easier.  It is not less work
although much of the time it gets to be easy.  For example, changing infusion
sets gets fast and effortless except for those ocassional periods where I can't
get good sites and am getting sore.  Carb counting always requires figuring --
this is true on MDI as well, but if I botch when I am using my pump the results
are sharper than one I give an injection and am off a few units.  Blood testing
becomes a must and sometimes an often must, although you may go through long
periods of getting by pretty well on 4-5 tests a day.   Rates must periodically
be recalculated.  Many of these things do become almost automatic.  Then, after 5
or 10 years at a go I find I suddenly start to see old standbys, doses etc, not
working.  This seems to correspond to changes that ought to be made to diabetic
regimes anyway, its just that on shots and less exact treatment they are
sometimes ignored without too much repurcussion.

Bascially, you need to be knowledgeable, comfortable calculating, and flexible
and to know how to take a deep breath, step back and think calmly when things hit
a snag.  You also need to have dependable health insurance.  On the up side, you
can adjust your pump to meet your needs, your life, your schedule, and, other
than needing to be able to blood test and act on it (a quick beep) anytime
anywhere, you won't have to conform your life around a schedule.  For some
people, the pump allows a control that doesn't work on shots.  Others initially
run into some trouble since the short duration of insulin can mean you go very
suddenly high or low.  Again, all solveable, all probably less constraining to
deal with than MDI, but the pump does involve continual learning and continual
work.  I think the people I've met and the few we've had here who've been really
frustrated are the ones who expected an "easy" effortless transition.   It does
take work and, in the long run, it take relearning again and again.  But none of
this is really all that hard.

Hope that helps a little,