Re: [IP] Accu-Chek Complete v. Profile

Joanne Spotten <email @ redacted> wrote:

>I think testing whole blood and showing
>a "plasma-like" value is bad.  Since
>meters have tested and report whole
>blood for years, I don't think the
>argument of more "lab like" has any value
>since people with dm are used to whole
>blood values.

I can't quite agree with all of this.  I've been a diabetic for
just over four years.  I started with a Glucometer Elite, which is
plasma-calibrated, and it's the meter I've used ever since.  So I'm
not used to whole-blood values; if I ever switch to a whole-blood
meter I know I'm going to have to take it very carefully, to
relearn what a number on my meter really "means" in relation to how
I feel.  I'm sure there are a number of other fairly new diabetics
who also have never used whole-blood meters, simply because they
got started on a plasma-calibrated meter and haven't switched.

What's vitally important is that everyone understands what the
number on their meter means to them, and if they switch from one
kind of meter to another, they know to make the transition
carefully.  That should hold true with *any* meter switch, I'd say,
since even meters calibrated to the same standard won't necessarily
give you the same results!

I also think there should be much wider-spread education about this
disparity in calibration.  It's obvious from the number of times
I've seen this issue come up on the newsgroup misc.health.diabetes
that diabetics in huge numbers aren't aware that differences in
calibration exist, or what that means to them.  Probably a number
of doctors don't know either.

I've also seen strong criticism of Bayer (makers of the Glucometer
Elite, which I believe was one of the first plasma-calculated
meters) for not making it clear that their meter is
plasma-calibrated.  I have to agree.

--Woj                      Matthew Wojcik                 email @ redacted
   Type I for 4 years, Pumping Humalog since 23 Feb 1999, MiniMed 507c
         College of Computer Science, Northeastern University