Re: [IP] new topic ..babies

At 09:50 PM 2/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm not sure how much less "work" having a pregnancy is on the pump vs shots.
>I was on three and four shots a day, had HgbA1cs in the 5's, and still had a 9
>#3 oz baby at 37 weeks.  (Baby #2)  Both times I had excellent care, control ,
>etc, but I think the work will still be there...all the Dr. visits, glucose
>checks, etc.   However, you'll notice that I did it twice too....kids are
>great....one of the reasons I really like the pump is that I can be flexible
>around their schedules instead of making everyone tap dance to the beat of the
>peaks and valleys of shots.    One mom's opinion.  Linda

My wife worked in the L&D/new babies department as an RN for about 7 years
before she became a CDE and has noticed that the pump pregnancies usually
go much better than non pump diabetic pregnancies, lower birth weights,
less complications,...    True, it does take a good doctor and lots of
visits.  In fact, we a full photo album  filled with ultra sound pictures
before Rebekah was born (15 + the extra one that the L&D department did on
her when things were slow).  I am trying to get her to write a paper on
diabetes and pregnancy but time constraints are not permitting that at this
time.  When she does get home from work right now, she usually spends about
2 hours just charting for the Diabetes Education department, as the rest of
the department also does.  They had a 600% increase in patients in the past
year and are trying to find time to breath.