Re: [IP] Alcohol question-or second drop -Reply

I just researched this question for a chapter I wrote in a nursing textbook.
Although the standard practice is to use the first drop of blood, and the
meter instructions say to do so, there is no apparent research which
validates this. All of the clinical laboratory references say to use the
second drop of blood, but the standard of care is to use the first drop.
There is a small difference between the first and second drop of blood  due
to tissue glucose. However this is not significant enough to affect care, as
the home meters are not accurate or precise enough to make it an important
point. My feeling is to use the recommendation of your meter, which would be
to use the first drop.

Linda Mackowiak RN NP CDE