Re: [IP] Got my pump!

Valued Compaq Customer wrote:
> I went in Wednesday and started pumping! So far so good. I have really
> felt bad for 3 days, today I feel much better. The Doc. says it is where
> I am not used to my BS being around normal. Has anyone elce had this
> happen?

I didn't, but I wasn't that for off when on shots. A large shift in control
DOES have this effect, though.

> One more question, I have read about hoe you dont have to eat until you
> feel like it, but my sugar keeps dropping in the morning, should I
> reduce by temp. basal rate? Or am I getting too much insulin throught
> the night. Thanks!

OK, you're not talking about TEMP basal rates, but the different settings
on your basal rates at different times. You really need to find what basal
rates you need for each part of the day and set them in the pump according
to a schedule. I suggest you get the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh
and Ruth Roberts. It can be bought from Amazon.com online.

I don't know if you're getting too much insulin through the night, but since
your morning tests (if I understood your message) look good, you are getting
too much in the morning. You likely need a lower basal rate starting somewhat
before you wake up, depending on whiuch insulin you use. Humalog is faster,
so you should reduce the rate perhaps an hour before wake up time. R and
Velosulin are slower, so you need to change 2 or 3 hours bbefore waking,
presumably. You'll need to experiment for a while to nail it down.

Ted Quick