Re: [IP] Re: plasma/serum vs whole blood

Karen--

In reality, both types of meters only check WHOLE BLOOD.  To check
PLASMA/SERUM would require a centrifuge to spin down the
blood...obviously not an option for home use!

The difference is in how the meters REPORT the results.  Whole Blood
meters (such as One Touch) simply report the whole blood number.
Plasma/Serum referenced meters (such as Glucometer Elite/DEX) use an
algorythm to calculate the plasma serum value.  This causes the meter to
report results that will correspond to what the lab would report.

This is a good thing because when doctors make adjustments in
medication, they tend to think plasma/serum (lab).

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Mike