Re: [IP] Re: Glucometer DEX

In a message dated 2/19/99 4:44:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< So, I'm a bit confused.  Do you or do you not have to buy test strips for
 this meter?  And what is the retail price of the meter?  Thanks!
 Jennifer >>

         We've been using the DEX for 15 months.  We got it from our endo when
the test groups first started.  I have 3 children who need to test and two of
them have DEX machines.  We LOVE IT and cant wait till it comes out so we can
buy another for my 3rd.

        To clear up the confusion about the strips.  Yes, you do have to buy
strips, but they are in a cartridge which holds 10 strips in it.  So basically
you're only inserting a cartridge every 10 tests.  When you slide the main
button over and push up, a strip comes out of the cartridge which is already
inserted in the machine(the strip is very small) and you just touch it to your
blood drop and it sucks in the blood like a straw.

         Another bit of information which is very important to know, is that
it is plasma/serum referenced.  If you are switching from a whole blood
referenced meter like the One Touch, or Accucheck, etc., you will see higher
numbers.  That doesn't mean that either one of them is wrong.  It simply means
that they use different parts of the blood for their results so you will get
different readings.  Another point to know is that labs use plasma/serum for
most tests so your results will more closely match your labwork (A1c's).  I
must say that in the 15 months we've been using the DEX, my son's A1c's have
always matched the average in the machine to within 5 - 7 points, and if you
think that in 15 months we've had 5 A1c's done, I say that's about as accurate
as you can get as far as I'm concerned.

          Through the past 15 months we've had a lot of contact with the
company, and have learned some things that can affect the accuracy of the
results.  The meter should be held straight and touch the drop from the side.
Tilting the meter can cause the results to be "off".  You must place the meter
down on a level surface after the blood sucks in and just leave it alone.
Bumping or hitting it can cause the results to be off also.  Some people may
not be comfortable with this aspect.  I can say from our experience that it
has never been a problem for us and my children are 8 & 10 now.  They were 6 &
9 when they started using it.  They caught on just fine and operate it very

          Well, I hope this helps.  If anyone wants to e-mail me with more
specific questions, feel free to do so.