Re: [IP] It's okay to be depressed--for a short while

On 19 Feb 99 at 10:58, Sue Ellen Eggett wrote:

> How's that for a sermon, Randall? I didn't mean it as a sermon. These are just
> my observations.

The best sermons are spoken from where we are, not from some loftier point...
We speak best when we talk about things as we know them ourselves... not
when we abstract to "how they should be"...

Good sermons are based in reality and connect with the hearer (reader).
Good ones are not an excercise in abstraction or speculation...

The same can be said for any teaching situation - it should be based on reality
instead of "vague vibes"...  That's the problem with so much of what passes for
diabetes instruction today.  It is often based on abstractions of theoretical
treatment protocols, with both the person who does the abstraction and the
person who develops the theoretical protocols totally removed and insulated
from the reality that those of us who may  become their victims inhabit...
like the old lie that "insulin shots don't hurt" - usually spread by people who
don't have to face the needle multiple times each day...

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.