Re: [IP] Before and After Diabetes

<< while I waited I was talking to
 a lady who has had diabetes for 3 years now. She was talking about how
 tired she has become when she used to be so active. She mentioned that her
 grandkids get on her nerves more easily now than before. She struggles with
 depression and would rather just stay home than go out around a lot of
 Listening to her made me wonder if these are typical side affects of
 diabetes  >>

Hi Sue Ellen

I think that lethergy and depression go along with out-of-control BGs
(especially high) and the irritation goes along with the lethergy and
depression. Before I got myself under control (which was after I actually
*learned* about DM and how to fit it into my lifestyle), I was s-o-o-o-o-o
tired all the time. I have a lot more energy now that I keep my numbers pretty
much under control. I think, too, that the stress of having to control DM on
top of the stresses of everyday life -- work, family, etc. -- can certainly
contribute to depression. Not everybody with DM has the knowledge and the
support that those of us on this list enjoy. Most people with DM are given
only a long list of "don'ts," they're overwhelmed by believing they have to
squeeze themselves into a little box labeled "diabetic" and then, when they
are unable to mold themselves into a "good little diabetic," they get
discouraged at their lapses and angry with themselves for their "failures."
Studies have also shown that people with DM (and probably those with other
chronic diseases as well) are more likely to be depressed than the general

Me, I get depressed on occasion. Usually when I'm on deadline on top of caring
for my 5- and 7-year-old granchildren who live with me (talk about energy!)
and grabbing whatever food I can whenever I can instead of eating a relatively
balanced meal ...

(who's facing an all-nighter tomorrow  :-\ )