[IP] Counting Carbo's vs. Graduated Insulin Scale

Hi everyone:  Tomorrow is going to be my first 'real' day on my MiniMed 507C
Insulin Pump!  I'm really excited to say the least - and a bit nervous.  When
talking to my endo today getting my starting basals, etc., he told me to used
a graduated scale instead of counting carbs for my bolus doses of Humalog.  I
asked him why he didn't used the carbo count and he told me he has better luck
with his pump patients using this method.  This rather threw me for a loop as
both my trainer and books I've been reading seem to go with the carbo
counting.  I would appreciate your thoughts on this.  Thanks so much, Joanne