Re: [IP] air bubbles

email @ redacted wrote:
> Ted,  I wonder what evidence you have that humalog goes "bad" after 2.5
> days inthe pump.

I had repeted instances of Humalog rapidly losing effect at about the 2.5
day point. Since I was using either QRs or Comforts at the time I just replaced
the syringe full of Humalog with a syringe full of fresh Humalog, push 20 units
through the hose if it was still going tobe the same one, and got things back
in regular working condition. This happened 3 or 4 times before I decided
to replace it every 2 days automatically. since then I've found that mixing
Humalog with R in a 5 to 1 ratio lasts longer, and I now usually run 3 days
to a syringe full, provided there's no irritation or problem with the set,
at least.

> A full syringe routinely lasts 10 days in the pump for me, and that
> includes sitting on it and sleeping on it under a fat down comforter.  Even
> on the last day, I still can use the same 1 U bolus to lower BG 40 mg/dl.
> If it's potency was off by 1%, I don't think I could detect that.  Even a
> 5% loss would be hard to pinpoint.

True, but I seemed to get a LOT worse degradation than that, and find my bg
steadily in the span of several hours, sometimes to 200+. Of course it's
quite possible that my work environment affected it more, since at that time I
had to climb into an oven at over 90 degrees during the day.

Ted Quick