RE: [IP] Re: Alcohol causing blisters

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Monday, February 15, 1999 7:43 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Leaving sites in for more than 3 days

Do you
need to wipe the area with alcohol before you send in the site/needle?  The
second site I put in I didn't use alcohol and everything looks great.
Is it safe to put in a site without alcohol?  I figured I would just wash
area and go for it.

Karen :)

I do wipe with an alcohol wipe, but my pump trainer said that using a
product called "I.V. Prep" would be fine (I use both).  The IV Prep makes
the skin a little shiny and is supposed to make the tape stick better.  I
have never had a problem with tape coming off.  Additionally, the tape
bothers my skin, and this stuff protects it from the tape.  The product
comes in little single-wipes (like the alcohol wipes).  It is made by
Smith+Nephew, Antiseptic Wipe, NDC 50484-210-00

Hope it helps!

Ellen Compell
Type II, Pumping since Dec. 1998
MiniMed 507C