RE: [IP] Re: Leaving sites in for more than 3 days

> Hi,  Why do "they" tell you to change your site in 3 days if you can leave
> them in for 7 or 10?  How long do most of you "pumpers" leave
> your sites in?
> I don't want to be changing sites every 3 days if I really don't have too.
> Karen :)

There are two very important reasons for changing sites every 2 - 3 days.
It is highly suggested that you change your site every 2 days.

First, as each day passes after the second day, the risk for site infection
increases and scarring begins to develop.

Secondly, As the site stays in after the 2 - 3 days the subcutaneous tissue
begins to grow around the insertion, this will cause scarring and will
create some difficulty in pumping the insulin into the body as resistance
will be increased as the proliferation of tissue begins to build around the

Now I am sure people here will say I have left sites in for 7 day, 10 days,
21 days, etc., etc.  But what is more important, safety or cost

I realize it may be expensive for people to be buying their supplies, not
everyone has the luxury of 80, 90 or 100% reimbursement for their supplies,
but if you create scarring at your sites, those sites become useless.

As a medical processional, I tell my patients to change their sites every 48
hours, 72 at the max.  When I assess their sites, I can always tell by it's
appearance, tenderness and rigidity how long it has been in.

Just some more info.