Re: [IP] Re: Leaving sites in for more than 3 days

In a message dated 2/15/99 12:50:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  the more we
 use, the more money they make.  And they minimize risk to themselves by
 being able to blame infections on user error. >>

Is it only the cost? Is that why some pumpers leave the site in for extra
days? Is it because maybe they do not want to take the time to change the
site?  I start pumping with insulin on Tuesday and so far I put in 2 sites
(saltine).  I thought if I could leave a site in longer it would be better for
my stomach area regarding all the little holes that I'm going to be making
soon :).  I use that gadget to send in the needle and it's not bad.  I do shut
my eyes when I push the botton hehehe.

Alcohol question.  The first time I put in a site my pump coach had me wipe
the area with a alcohol pad.  Within 8 hours it was bothering me so much I had
to take it out.  I should mention it was a "Sof-set".  Well, anyway, the area
immediately under the plactic wings had a blister (2 blisters) BIG.  Do you
need to wipe the area with alcohol before you send in the site/needle?  The
second site I put in I didn't use alcohol and everything looks great.
Is it safe to put in a site without alcohol?  I figured I would just wash the
area and go for it.

Karen :)