Re: [IP] Re: Insulin Experation

email @ redacted wrote:
> Hi,  Humalog expires after 2.5 days?  I'm using humalog in my pump. My support
> person told me not to refrig. the bottle of insulin I would be using.  She
> said,  room temperature insulin would not make bubbles like cold insuling.  At
> the time I did not say anything but I knew that was not right.  I knew the
> humalog I used in the pen device would loose it strength after a week.
> So, what about that 1/2 a day.  Do bgs go up?  Do you send in a little more
> insulin?

I was reflecting MY experiences on that, others here disagree. This was about
pure Humalog, not a Humalog mix with R or V. Also note that my work sometimes
includes getting my pump near warm or hot machinery, which probably stresses
it a lot faster than just room temp. I play it safe, at least when I use pure

Anyway, I bring my bottle to room temp just before filling the syringe, then
put the bottle back in the fridge till next time. That way it can keep a lot
longer and I don't need to concern myself with it breaking down from heat.

After 2.5 days it starts losing effectiveness rather fast, so I can increase
the rates, but it gets a bit wild keeping up with the changes, so I just reload.

Ted Quick