Re: [IP] Pump convenience

>In a message dated 2/9/99 12:07:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
><< <<   The pump is not as convenient as injections, I have to plan even more,
> but my blood sugars are much improved, and have better control. >> >>
>I guess what I mean by this is that I have to make sure my pump has enough
>insulin in it to make it through the day while I am on campus, or to make sure
>I have the supplies on hand if I need to make a change.  After six years of
>five shots a day, I got use to the routine (insulin pen and meter), and felt a
>lot of freedom in addressing my disease (but did not have as good as control
>as on the pump).  I guess it is just adjusting to something different, to
>becoming comfortable with new techniques, and generally getting into a regular
>routine with the new devices.

Yes, changing to a pump will require a new routine. There is no way around
it. However, unless you are using an extremely large dose, you really only
need to be concerned about the amount of insulin in your pump every 3-4
days. And, if you are getting low, change it the early evening the day
before it runs out. I can tell just by looking at the reservoir whether I
have enough to last the day. The nice thing is that while your reservoir is
full, you don't need to carry a whole pack of supplies with you all day. A
small BG meter is all you need.

Another benefit is the flexibility in your schedule... once you get your
basals set, if you need to do something during lunch, it's not a big
deal... you just eat when you can (or when you feel like it).