Re: [IP] air bubbles

> > Ah yes, but he didn't say...

Are you she or he? You describe yourself as a Registered Nurse, so
statistically you're more likely to be she, but I can't be certain... or
do you wish to retain internet neutrality?

> > ...that you should bubble the air through the
> > solution. It's very simple, put the needle into the bottle when it's
> > standing upright, as on a table. Push the air in the air space at the
> > top, then flip the whole thing over and draw out your insulin.
> Thanks Ted,
> I should remember to be explicit on instructions.

Some of us are top-fillers, and some bottom-fillers so-to-speak... but
the surface area between the gas and fluid is still sufficient, however
you do it, to allow pressurised air to dissolve in the insulin even if
you top-fill and turn the bottle over (which provides an even greater
surface area in the process). If it's a full bottle, and a full
cartridge, you might end up with the air in there at 6 times atmospheric
pressure... And as the air from the dead space in the syringe passes
through the incoming insulin, that partly dissolves as well.

If bubbles are a problem, and you think it through logically, it still
makes sense to NOT pressurise the air in the bottle before you withdraw
the insulin. In fact, it makes sense to keep the whole bottle
permanently at negative pressure.

But Wayne will no doubt come up some calculations to demonstate that the
whole thing is insignificant...

mailto:email @ redacted