Re: [IP] Ketones

In a message dated 2/9/99 11:29:47 AM Central Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< ?m a bit confused.  My husband doesn?t seem to have problems with ketones
 unless he?s >700 (of course this was when he was first dx).  He can run 500
 or so and not have ketones.  I?ve read a few posts about pumpers having
 ketones with readings in the 300?s.  Once he gets on the pump (to arrive
 tomorrow-Yeah!) will he become more prone to ketones then when on MDIs?
I never had ketones unless I was very high until last summer.  My tubing got
nicked and I didn't get insulin for hours.  My BGs never got above 325 and I
had ENORMOUS amounts of ketones.  The reason was that I only use ''short
acting insulin" and when I was on MDIs I always had the 'long acting" in the
background to take up the slack.

(who's in Houston missing Mardi Gras)