Re: [IP] chinese

Bernstein has had some pretty good ideas but not all of what he says is
based on physiological measurements.  Indeed, I wonder how he tested the
effect of eating sawdust on glucagon release.
   The control of insulin is one of the most tightly regulated control
systems in the human body.  There is no need to release glucagon just in
case the system might sometime oversecrete insulin.  Maybe if your BG
dropped very low glucagon would be released, but it is not a normal
operating procedure to get glucagon released every time you need insulin.
That would be a very dumb way to design a normal control system, and
evolution has been shown to be pretty efficient that way.
	The bottom line, as Michael and others said, is that there is just
a lot of hidden (and not so hidden) CHO in chinese food.  General Tso's
chicken wipes me out, but there is also about 8 oz of chicken in the
platters my local chinese restaruant provides.  Even at a low rate of 1/3 U
per oz of protein, you still need about 3 U just to handle the meat (YMMV,
I need 6 U for this alone).  Not to mention that sweet cornstarch coating,
cornstarch sauce, and a pile of fried rice.  Not your best meal for
diabetics, but it sure tastes mighty fine :-)
p.s Anybody know who General Tso was?

I, too have the same experience when I go to my favorite Thai restaurant
in Portland. It is a similar experience to eating pizza or lasagna or
Mexican food.  Here is an interesting contribution as to the cause and
effect with this kind of food.  In Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's book, "Dr.
Bernstein's Diabetes Solution", he talks about the "Chinese Restaurant

"Often Chinese Resturants contain large amounts of protein or slow
acting low carbohydrate foods such as bean sprouts, bok choy,
mushrooms...that make you feel full.
The upper part of the small intestine contains cells that release
hormones into the bloodstream when they are stretched, as after a large
meal.  These hormones signal the pancreas to produce some insulin to
prevent the blood sugar rise that might otherwise follow  the digestion
of a large meal.  Since a very small amount of insulin released by the
pancreas can cause a large drop in blood sugar, the pancreas
simultaneously produces the less potent glucagon to offset the potential
excess effect of the insulin.  If you're diabetic, and deficeint in
producing insulin, you might not release insulin, but you will still
release glucagon, which will cause gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis
and thereby raise your blood sugar.  Thus if you eat enough to feel
stuffed, your blood sugar can go up even if you eat something
undigestible, such as sawdust.  The lesson here is: Don't overstuff