Re: [IP] chinese

Vicki McDonald wrote:
> Okay, I've been doing this for almost a year now, but I still can't
> figure out Chinese food.   This is 1/2 of my normal
> daily insulin usage.  Has anyone figured out how to do Chinese without
> these incredible highs and huge amounts of insulin?

Hi Vicki,

I, too have the same experience when I go to my favorite Thai restaurant
in Portland. It is a similar experience to eating pizza or lasagna or
Mexican food.  Here is an interesting contribution as to the cause and
effect with this kind of food.  In Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's book, "Dr.
Bernstein's Diabetes Solution", he talks about the "Chinese Restaurant

"Often Chinese Resturants contain large amounts of protein or slow
acting low carbohydrate foods such as bean sprouts, bok choy,
mushrooms...that make you feel full.
The upper part of the small intestine contains cells that release
hormones into the bloodstream when they are stretched, as after a large
meal.  These hormones signal the pancreas to produce some insulin to
prevent the blood sugar rise that might otherwise follow  the digestion
of a large meal.  Since a very small amount of insulin released by the
pancreas can cause a large drop in blood sugar, the pancreas
simultaneously produces the less potent glucagon to offset the potential
excess effect of the insulin.  If you're diabetic, and deficeint in
producing insulin, you might not release insulin, but you will still
release glucagon, which will cause gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis
and thereby raise your blood sugar.  Thus if you eat enough to feel
stuffed, your blood sugar can go up even if you eat something
undigestible, such as sawdust.  The lesson here is: Don't overstuff

I think it is an interesting and perhaps plausible explanation, although
his only advice is not to do it!

Janet Riganti