Re: [IP] chinese

In a message dated 2/8/99 10:25:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Has anyone figured out how to do Chinese without
 these incredible highs and huge amounts of insulin? >>

    Melissa has a book she just got from her CDE entitled"The Essential Fat
Gram Counter for Ethnic Dining." When I checked cold sesame noodles, not only
are there 28 grms of carbs in 3/4 cup, but also 12 grams of fat.
Unfortunately, protein grams aren't given, but since they may use peanut
butter in this recipe, that would also affect delayed mateabolism of the meal.
General Tso's chicken isn't listed, but many of the other popoular chicken
dishes can have as much as 112 gms of fat in Peking Duck to 40 gms of fat in
Sweet & Sour Chicken - and that's without factoring in the large amount of
protein. What Melissa has done is to bolus a "guesstimate" for the carbs, set
a temp basal raising her usual .6/hr to 1.0/hr for the next few hours & then
recheck.  If she doesn't do the temp basal, it's a "given" she'll go high
later, just as you experienced. Even my own personal favorite, which I thought
was "healthier"- Vegetable Mu Shu comes in at 579 calories, 36 grms fat and 45
grms of carbs for 2 filled pancake rolls with hoisin sauce!!! This CDE runs a
support group for pumpers & at one meeting, we played a game "guesstimating"
the carbs in 5 different type meals that he had on display - Italian, Chinese,
fried chicken, bagel, and one other.  Needless to say, the vast majority of us
were WAY OFF in our calculations.

Regards, Renee (pump-coach mom to 16 yr old pumper)