Re: [IP] why log

Sara, the info you mention logging sounds like a great idea!  Right now, the
little logbook I'm using wouldn't be suitable for all that pertinent
information.  Where do you obtain your log sheets/books???

Linda  W.  >^.,.^<
IDDM since 1950
DMI 49 years
happy pumper since 1/13/99  :o)

In a message dated 2/7/99 5:52:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< Sam wrote:
 > ....since I went on the pump I have a hard time motivating
 > myself to log anything. When I go to the doctor, he doesn't look at
 > my logbook anymore, he just downloads my meter....I can also easily
 > view the meter memory too, I have trouble seeing why I need to write
 > everything down.
 I disagree with this...sorry Sam...I think there are more important things
 than just my blood sugar levels!!  I mean unless a person has an amazing
 and can remember the result last time they ate something out of the ordinary,
 or if you want to see how you basals have changed, and maybe look at your
 numbers and rates for some seasonal, or busy time at work comparisons, then
 sure, why bother righting it all down.  But for me personally, I log so I can
 see what I ate, and what kind of an effect it is having on me.  On my log, I
 write my bs, the basal I am currently on, how much bolus I took for what I
 and how much I covered if necessary.  It is a full page for each day, so
 is also room to write down if i worked out, how much, and exactly what I ate,
 including  a column for Carbs...so in 4 weeks if I decide to try Peking
 stirfried shrimp burger (or whatever i happen to be eating out of the
 and I don't remember what insulin i took last time, I can look back in my log
 and see "oh, 4.2 units was too much.  I crashed so maybe this time I will try
 3.9."  Otherwise...based merely on the carbs, I would have again bolused 4.2
 and again crashed....of course this is assuming that all things are...if it
 PMS week and my basals are up, or if it is less stressful, cuz my log would
 tell me that the first time i ate this I was very stressed, and this time I
 on vacation...all these things can help me better refine my guess.  Cuz
 really, folks, that is what most of this is...you take your facts...add them
 together and stir in some uncontrollable stress, MSG and strep, and who KNOWS
 what is gonna happen!
 but anyway, that is one of the reasons WHY I write it all down.  Another is
 I can see what garbage I am putting in my mouth, and understand why I might
 getting fat...It is not the PUMP making me fat...it is the fact that I am
 eating MORE than my body needs (duh), and since I take insulin for what I
 I get fat just like a "non-defective" person.
 who is back in Chicago and with out a tummyache this time - YAH HOOOOO >>