[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

RE: [IP] Getting a MiniMed pump

To let you know, I have both pumps and I prefer the Disetronic Pump and

My reasons are as follows:

1.  Customer service and delivery times from MiniMed are excessive, last two
orders placed with MiniMed for supplies took weeks to get.  They said they
have an insurance problem, yet when I spoke with their Insurance person and
my companies DME rep, MiniMed has an approval code good for one year.  So I
hate a line of Bull, gives me reason enough to not want to use their

2. If what you say is true that MiniMed will not offer the glucose sensor to
patients not on their pump, I am sure the FDA and the CPA would love to hear
that as that is what is called a restriction of Trade practice and equates
in my opinion to Black Mail.

3.  Lastly, I am a firm believer in choice, but if you are choosing one
product line over anther because of what the company says they will not
offer you in the near future, I must say I believe your choice is wrong.

Choose the product you want, not because of what they may offer you in the
future, remember, yesterday is a dream, and tomorrow a vision.  Live for
today, not what might be.

Just my two cents


> -----Original Message-----
> From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
> Of email @ redacted
> Sent: Sunday, February 07, 1999 17:38
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Getting a MiniMed pump
>      Well, I visited with my endo last Thursday, and have pretty
> much made up
> my mind to go on the pump.
>      I researched both companies as  much as I could, and was pretty much
> decided on the Disetronic pump. I live in Minneapolis, the US
> Disetronic HQ,
> and thought that would be a plus with the D pump. Together with being
> waterproof, delivering insulin every three minutes, and getting a
> backup pump,
> I thought it was the best choice for me.
>      However, my endo is very involved with MiniMed, and with over 150
> patients on the pump, only a couple of them use the Disetronic.
> He emphasized
> how great the service is from MiniMed, and pushed the glucose sensor that
> MiniMed is about to bring to market. His clinic will be one of
> several around
> the country to be the first to have the sensors available, and
> they will only
> be offered to MiniMed pump users at first. They will not be available for
> purchase, but as he explained they will be given to patients to
> wear for 4-6
> weeks to fine tune basal rates, with the idea being that you
> would optimize
> your levels in that period of time and perhaps wouldn't have to
> test quite as
> often after  that. (I'm sure I would still test at least 4 times
> a day, just
> to be safe.)
>      If I could get the sensor sooner by choosing a MiniMed pump,
> I think it
> would be worth it. My endo really tried to discourage me from the
> Disetronic,
> not because it was a bad pump, but because he was unfamiliar with
> it and would
> feel a lot more comfortable with me on the MiniMed, since he and his staff
> know it well. Maybe with a MiniMed I would also be able to get an
> implantable
> pump sooner, when they become available??
>      I'm going to contact the MiniMed rep tomorrow and if
> insurance covers it,
> probably go with it. I'm sure either pump is going to give me much better
> control and be a lot easier to live with than the multiple injections I'm
> doing now. BTW, I've got Blue Cross/Blue Shield Aware Gold health
> insurance -
> if any pumpers out there have the same coverage and could tell me
> how much of
> the pump was covered, please let me know.
> Thanks in advance -
> Matt Braun
> Type 1 since 1993
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/

Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/